Fashion bum, or the Marni Mystery

Posted in Street by unknownhipster on October 20, 2009

pilgrim- 1_light

I was walking down Mercer this morning when I thought I saw a fellow hipster standing in the shadow. He was holding a number of Marni shopping bags, some of them hanging from a walking stick carried on his shoulder. His hood and oversized beads necklace gave him the look of a mystic, a bit of a cool pilgrim.

I then realized he was pausing for two Fashion Beings:  a photographer and a stylist who were giggling in excitement. Were they accessorizing the hobo or was it a hipster dressed as a surreal bum? Or were they stealing ideas from a true hip bum?

On a stairway was a scattered stack of various junks and discarded shopping bags from the nearby Marni store: the bum’s temporary belongings, but could very well have been the female stylist’s ammunitions. She kept picking up new bags to try them on the model.

pilgrim - 2_light

Finally, she brought a little white dog which might have been the bum’s own.

May be the dude was and old friend? May be he was a well paid bum or a supermodel working for free? My guess is that they were trying to make a political Fashion statement, something they wouldn’t have done for a serious magazine.

Perhaps, it was purely visual.

1. la flore et la faune said, on October 20, 2009 at 4:38 am

superbe mystérieuse anecdote.
    Marni me fait toujours penser à Marnie, ce Hitchcock hallucinatoire.

2. Liona said, on October 20, 2009 at 6:59 pm

That is amazing! I saw something along these lines, although the man was definitely being styled, not as mysterious as this character! Such a good story though, it’s amazing what you can see on the streets!

3. julia said, on October 21, 2009 at 4:33 am

amazing! It’s a drawing of me! I hope it’s alright to use it in my own blog because it’s so funny.

4. Caroline said, on October 21, 2009 at 6:33 pm

I love it! “Going Broke for Fashion.”

5. melody said, on October 22, 2009 at 5:20 pm

bravo

6. SwanDiamondRose said, on October 22, 2009 at 7:00 pm

here’s another little fashion bum mystery… there was a streetperson in Tokyo. we drove past him once. he was standing like a ghost in the middle of a very busy pedestrian intersection. not a street intersection. a man with long black tangled hair. wearing piles and piles and piles of blankets. smiling beautifically, swaying slightly and looking upwards. people all around him, but no one near him. in his own space. the driver said, “this is Yohji ghost”. and he did have Yohji Yamamoto’s face. and the same gentleness that Yohji Yamamoto has in person. i can’t believe i don’t have a photo.

7. Rad said, on November 22, 2009 at 5:54 pm

The final shots are up if anyone is interested in seeing how this went.

They are quite beautiful ans powerful.

• unknownhipster said, on November 22, 2009 at 6:26 pm

Fantastic! Thank you for posting this!