NY Fashion Week Fall 2010: Zero + Maria Cornejo

Posted in Fashion by unknownhipster on February 18, 2010

It was a bright winter morning. I walked on 11th Avenue towards 36th Street, along the construction-site fences, the uncleared sidewalks still covered with snow.

I even saw a tiny bird enthusiastically twittering on top of a blasting signal orange panel.

I thought he was announcing spring, in advance of his kind.

I had never been in this part of the city, and the small industrial buildings, the repair garages, the newly built high-rise condo against the Hell’s Kitchen backdrop in the distance, and the wide-open spaces reminded me of some verses from Apollinaire’s poem Zone.

J’ai vu ce matin une jolie rue dont j’ai oublié le nom

Neuve et propre du soleil elle était le clairon

….

Les inscriptions des enseignes et des murailles

Les plaques les avis à la façon des perroquets criaillent

J’aime la grâce de cette rue industrielle

Hosfelt Gallery — on the second floor of an automotive parts and car repair shop — is a beautiful, luminous space, with a pure, natural light that seemed the perfect translation of Maria’s spirit.

1. editor said, on February 18, 2010 at 10:56 pm

I don’t know if Guillaume wrote anything about the scene I saw on 32nd and 11th once – a homeless man starting, or finishing a fight with another homeless man, each with their cart full of cans (filled so high, so incredibly high, trophies of aluminum). There are tall walls down that way, and along them, the unrecycled castoffs…

2. @Conscious_ness said, on February 21, 2010 at 1:13 pm

Continued admiration faceless one! Far from an art buff but the aesthetics(possible typo-sowi) of your sketches show enough fludity that make my tiny BlackBerry screen seem like a front row seat.

Thank you for bringing NYFW to the unwashed like I…may your pencil lead never blunt out!

Peace+Light!

C!!

3. Josie said, on February 21, 2010 at 7:05 pm

Lovely! I feel as though I was there too!

4. laurent said, on February 22, 2010 at 2:52 am

Je ssi un grand fan de ton travail !! Bravo, je me régal à chaque fois !!

5. Lullu said, on February 23, 2010 at 9:53 am

Beautiful post…I love the way you tell your walk and the how you related to the poem…I wish you could read in spanish..I would love you to read this:

6. kyle said, on February 27, 2010 at 10:33 am

yesterday a confusion of robins alightedupon my lawn..while the snowdfits still resemble the foot print of a medeival abbey……today i find this amazing wonderful site i applaud and say thank-you

7. Vero said, on March 1, 2010 at 11:05 am

hello there! i typed in google search “aborigen art” and between all the result pages was this website ) i dont know why) and though, i can`t stop admiring your beautiful paintings. wow..

8. Valerie said, on March 3, 2010 at 5:05 pm

Such a brilliant blog! I’m in love with it.