A Dreary Saturday in Chelsea

Posted in Art by unknownhipster on March 2, 2010

A tormented, Burchfield-esque vision presented itself on a Chelsea street on Saturday, when the sinister weather puts Art and gallery visitors to the test.

Somewhat less torturous Charles Burchfield graphite drawings are on view at the nearby D’Amelio Terras Gallery.

Hunting rubber boots, worn in various colors, brought a cheerful note to the dark mood of the day.

Melting snow left a handful of Art Lovers stranded on slouchy snow banks with little chance of rescue from gallery assistants.

Ironic wiring in a Banks Violette installation at Gladstone – a sculpture which somehow formally echoed my hat. Being in a mundane state of mind, I wondered how one could vacuum between the wires without messing up the piece.

« Band of Bikers » at Zieher Smith presents a hundred fading 1970s snapshots of gay bikers found by the gallery owner in his building basement, among the discarded belongings of  a recently deceased tenant.

I wonder where Hell’s Angel cap went.

1. kyle said, on March 3, 2010 at 8:21 am

thankyou for cracking open a smile……………………

2. editor said, on March 3, 2010 at 11:15 am

The task of cleaning an installation IS fascinating!
    I don’t mind being the only person with cream hunters.

3. Robd said, on March 5, 2010 at 9:19 am

Brilliant! Hilarious!

4. Conscious_ness said, on March 6, 2010 at 7:01 am

Greetns ó great and talented one,

Many continued thanks for your wonderful introspects, humour and divine art. It’s a priviledge.

Peace+Light,

C!!

5. miamichaela said, on March 8, 2010 at 6:02 pm

Omg, I think I love you :D

6. karenadria said, on March 12, 2010 at 8:18 pm

I love this blog! Your drawings are tres drolle and tres magnifique. Are the pencil drawings a new direction? Are your gouaches
    based on preliminary (on the spot) sketches in colored pencil?

7. s. monster said, on March 15, 2010 at 6:16 pm

I love your artwork! This picture in particular reminded me of how much I love going to art galleries just to soak in all the interesting outfits that people are wearing.
    I want to feature you on my blog http://www.thestylemonster.com and put the unknown hipster on my blog roll. Let me know if that’s ok.

-s.monster from The Style Monster

8. Space by Eliana Tomas said, on March 21, 2010 at 9:49 am

great post. i can imagine every detail you describe.
    (i’m a hunter rubber boots lover. i’ve a navy blue pair – quite useful in london).

9. Takeru said, on April 13, 2010 at 9:44 pm

I love all your artwork!

10. jade said, on April 19, 2010 at 7:51 pm

i’m traveling with your pictures
    thanks
    Jade
    from Shanghai

11. nick sung said, on April 20, 2010 at 12:37 pm

wow! these are great.

i love the colorful pop of hunters; thank goodness the world has boots and scarves to lighten things up. dreary chelsea has never looked better!