Tokyo, part I

Posted in Travel by unknownhipster on November 11, 2010

Early this autumn, I was invited to attend Tokyo Graphic Passport, a creative and visual arts conference organized by  +81 Magazine - a Japanese graphic design journal – with speakers coming from various parts of the world.

I love Tokyo. From the very first time (back in the early 90’s, when I came as the tambourine player for Uneven Dusk to perform gigs at a small club located in the basement of an anonymous white-tile building in the outskirts of Tokyo) I was taken by the poetic particularity of the city, and has taken every chance I could to come back.

I love the crazy sound of cicadas in the summer, the temples and their gardens, the tiny bars, and the blinking red lights on the tops of office towers at night. I can stroll endlessly in the quiet backstreets behind the busiest arteries, and wish I could live in one of these little wood houses. Even the spectacular flagship stores of the global luxury brands seem surrealistic mysteries, and yet appear more gentle than anywhere else.

Struck by jetlag in the hotel lobby.

With Satoru Yamashita, founder of +81 Magazine and Graphic Passport

Fantasista Utamaro performing at Arts Chiyoda.

« Live painting » as it’s called, is a common and much appreciated form of performance art for painters and their public, just like readings are for American writers. Although anybody who has ever painted could sense that it’s less than likely that a painting executed in public would be any good. Even Picasso was not so astonishing in « Le Mystère Picasso ». But Fantasista managed to get his act together in front his home crew.

These young chaps had looks that deserve a Sartorialist award.

John Warwicker from Tomato had flew from Australia to paint a large mural.

If the mural was John’s, the stained plastic protections on the floor were reminiscent of Hans Namuth’s photos of Pollock.

Most amazingly, John’s painting looked good at all the different stages throughout the 3 days it took to finish.

Toru, assisting John and documenting the performance.

While Roland Barthes’ « Empire of Signs » is my beloved travel campanion in Japan, and a nourishing reading, it’s sometimes more nutritious to dine on Sumo food.

1. voz said, on November 11, 2010 at 3:06 pm

the food, the food; tokyo has a way of blasting the senses; love the colours you’ve used to capture this

2. MATILDE said, on November 12, 2010 at 6:21 am

I’m 13.I don’t understand very much your personal experience because my english is not so good,but your drawings are beautiful!

3. Shantel said, on November 12, 2010 at 11:17 pm

Nice story! Toru was wearing only one shoe?

4. Michelle said, on November 13, 2010 at 7:47 am

WOW. Your drawings are great!!!

5. editor said, on November 13, 2010 at 5:19 pm

i came across your cover for City Style today – I was so disappointed that your work wasn’t the entirety of the book’s content as well that i put it down, but i might revisit it once i’ve recovered.

6. editor said, on November 13, 2010 at 5:20 pm

oh, and also…plaid blazer! love it.

7. Myrtes said, on November 15, 2010 at 7:17 am

Hi, I love your stories, pleeeeese, post it a little bit more!

your brazilian fan

8. camille said, on November 16, 2010 at 3:23 am

I love Tokyo so much … thanks for this story, I discovered outstanding works such as Sam Winston’s.

9. Brandon said, on November 24, 2010 at 12:25 am

Ahh, Unknown Hipster, it is always a pleasure to come by for a visit. Always thoroughly enjoy your stories and your fabulous illustrations. And I also can’t get over the way that you always seem to convey the mood of the subject matter. You are a master and I’m so glad you’re here! Thanks for sharing and don’t ever stop!

10. Lainey said, on June 1, 2011 at 10:27 pm

Posts like this brtighen up my day. Thanks for taking the time.