Lola’s hats

Posted in Fashion by unknownhipster on January 27, 2010

This winter, I am wearing a wolf fur hat with a thriftstore sheepskin coat. Not only it is warm, this hat also conveys very well the dual nature of the humankind. Even those who identified themselves as 100% wolf always have an inner sheep deep inside of them. And beware of those who appear to be mostly sheep.

Like everything else, it’s a question of balance. But still, you can’t wear a wolfskin hat all the time. It gets smelly when exposed to too much rain, and I’ve been told it’s not good for your hair.

One recent sunny afternoon in Bushwick I was taken by my friend Corinne, who runs Mc&Co this great store in Williamsburg where I got my tote bag from, to Lola Ehrlich’s studio on the top of this industrial building with an incredible view of the distant Manhattan skyline.

Lola is the designer behind John’s distinctive hats.

There were hats of all styles, shapes, and colors hanging in bunches like grapes from the ceiling, or on racks like fruits growing on trees. There were hats on top of hat boxes, hats on suitcases, hats on stacks of second-hand books, and even hats on the floor.

It was like one of Maira Kalman’s drawing coming alive, a secret cavern where treasured hats are stashed. And they were all speaking to me, like funny characters, under no principle of certainty.

Unlike helmets, designing hats is a poetic thing. Lola’s parents were so truly bohemian that they wouldn’t allow their daughters to go to school, probably in fear of seeing them turn into squares. As a teenager Lola trained as a ballet dancer and it can be still be seen in the way she stands,  which sometimes looks like a feather balancing on top of a hat.

I wanted to pick up an orange rabbit fur hat, as an occasional substitute for the wolf fur, but without a word Lola gently handed me a brown felt fedora.

After all, I’m a self-taught hipster, and can still make mistakes.

1. Maya said, on January 28, 2010 at 7:06 am

KAWAII!!!

FROM TOKYO WITH LOVE!

2. Lullu said, on January 28, 2010 at 4:45 pm

Have I told you already that I love your blog?? How good you´ve posted again…I was looking forward to your next post. Great drawings, as usual..

3. Cranky cyclist said, on January 29, 2010 at 12:37 pm

I have to say that you have one of the best blogs. Drawings are great, writing is amusing. A new blog post from you always makes my day brighter. And, I think that reading your blog helps maintain my very thin veneer of hipness.

4. Classic Copenhagen said, on January 29, 2010 at 4:35 pm

Hi Hipster, I feel very much at home on your blog, it is like being invited into a cosy living room. With hats. It does not get any better. Thanks for having me over.

hi from Sandra

5. Eliana said, on January 31, 2010 at 5:43 am

In the middle of the night, sleepless with a broken heart, the beauty and excitement of a new post! You’re brilliant. I may look at the lines and swirls of your colored pencils till dawn. And then go on.

6. Janelle said, on January 31, 2010 at 8:23 pm

I really love the hat drawings.

7. STYLE SCANNER said, on February 1, 2010 at 1:23 pm

Yes, not sure how ‘beat’ you’d have looked in a pumpkin hat…x

8. Josie said, on February 3, 2010 at 9:42 pm

All of the hats you drew made me very happy! Love the energy of all of your lines.

9. Carol said, on February 4, 2010 at 7:25 am

Lola is a fantastic person and milliner. And Jean-Phillipe I enjoyed your talk at Parsons last night.

10. laurent said, on February 9, 2010 at 3:31 am

Great !!!! From illustrator, fan about your works !

11. FULL FRONTAL Finds | Full Frontal Fashion said, on September 8, 2010 at 11:08 am

[…] [Isaac Mizrahi NY.com]The unknown hipster finally updated his blog! If you don't know who that is, take a look, you'll be surprised. [The Unknown Hipster]Could it be that our own little Tavi is growing up? [The […]